Pages

Tuesday, 25 October 2011

MakapagReact lang: Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog



I guess the book Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog by Edgar Calabia Samar came to me just in time. Well, the moment I decided to read it wasn’t really the first time it landed on my hands, but the time “life” kinda forced me to read it, I believe it was just right on time.

Jamie asked me to read the book earlier this year, I think, and said that I should because it’s weird or something, so I would definitely like it. But since I am not really fond of reading books in Filipino, I lent it to Gely instead.

However, because of some issues or misunderstanding or whatever that occurred, Jamie asked me to give her the book back (and all her things I still have that time, for that matter). So. I scheduled Gely for us to meet so I could have Jamie’s book in my hands again. I thought I couldn’t give her back the book yet without reading it. That’s why I did. And to my surprise, I became hooked!

I was currently reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami when I decided to read Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog as well. And I was surprised when there’s a part in the book where the main character, Daniel, was also reading it! When I got to that part of the book, I thought that this came to me in the right time. The fact that I wasn’t able to read it the first time I held it meant that I was really supposed to read it when I actually read it. Like, whoa! I rather thought that this book was particularly written for me. Haha. I just won’t accept the fact that what was presented to me was just a series of coincidences.

I kinda told myself that the main character and I were somehow related. Lol. Daniel, like me, has been through different courses in college, reads the authors I’ve read, plus he’s a frustrated writer and so am I! :D Not to mention the fact that we’re both born in February; he’s on the 19th and I’m on the 23rd. My mom was born in Samar pa. Oha. Okay guys, believe me, there’s moooore. I just chose not to identify all our similarities here. Hehe.

The whole story was kinda weird in an unconventional way. Hey, I liked the book! I just kinda felt like the ending was bitin or something. Anyway… It kinda freaked me out when I thought that the whole story changes depending on who’s reading it. Like, the book rewrites itself with the reader’s struggles and personal thoughts. Idk. Maybe that was just my imagination running wild. Hehe. Yeah, there’s that.

Well, I’m suggesting you guys read the book so you’d have an idea of what I’m talking about. But if my hypothesis that the storyline changes depending on who reads it… Uh-oh. Then things that are written here won’t be true. Hehe.

It’s a different kind of experience for me since I’m not used to reading these kinds of stuff from Pinoy writers. I’m not sure what’s the trend here na… But. For me it’s the first of its kind. So. Just read it.

****

In my Komunikasyon 1 class, we were asked to analyze a book using PAPITS (don't ask). And I chose this book, yay! And. The book is with it's owner now. Hee.

1 comment:

Edgar Calabia Samar said...

Thank you very much for having time to read the book. My new novel's coming out; "Sa Kasunod ng 909." If you have time, it will be launch on July 17 at 4:30-6:00PM at Escaler Hall in Ateneo, and at Conspiracy Bar in Visayas Ave from 7:00-9:00 pm the same day. Salamat ulit sa pagbabasa!