Pages

Sunday, 15 April 2012

Schooldays with a Pig

There’s this channel that has been so addicting for me, so far: SCREEN RED. I just learned tonight though that it is a sister channel of HBO or something. Hey, I don’t pay attention to commercial breaks that much. This channel showcases Asia’s best movies and I couldn’t agree more since the movies I’ve watched there (so far) satisfy my need to watch interesting movies on a daily basis.

Since I’m a fan, I’ve watched some mainstream or internationally acclaimed Asian films on DVD, the internet, and film festivals. It thrills me to see actors on different films playing different roles. It usually makes me say “Hey, I know that guy/girl from this or that movie.” And I kinda feel good watching them play another role aside from the first one I watched them in.

So anyway, I was watching School Days with a Pig with my siblings yesterday. I thought it was somehow a ridiculous film because who the hell raises a pig on their school grounds, name it P-Chan, and then eat it later? The main protagonists are grade six students so I was really wondering how I could ever relate to them and to the whole movie. Then I saw the class’ teacher. I remember seeing him in Villon’s Wife (which I watched in a Japanese Film Festival in UP Diliman last year) and Villain (probably the first movie I’ve ever watched on Screen Red). Aside from the fact that we don’t know what other movie we should watch, I find him cute and charming so we stuck to Schooldays with a Pig anyway. I googled him before I started this blog and found out that his name is, tadaaaah: Satoshi Tsumabuki.

My younger sister started crying in the part where in the class was debating whether or not they should stick to the first and actual plan regarding P-Chan the pig, which is eat it on graduation. The problem is that the class grew attached to the pig and considered it as one of their classmates and even their friend. They couldn’t bring themselves to kill it, not to mention eat it! It became so barbaric and in a sense “inhuman” to them. They considered handing the responsibility to incoming grade four students but they were too young and probably too small to handle such a healthy pig.

You guys should watch the film and hear the kids share their stands about what to do with P-Chan. They have a mature way of defending their sides; I sort of can’t believe they were just kids.

Excuse me for saying this but I stand with those students who wanted to kill and eat it. The pig looked so fat, healthy, and meaty; I don’t mind seeing it in my dining room table with an apple in its mouth. Oops. What are pigs for, anyway? If I was there and I didn’t decide on killing and eating it, I know other people will. I’d rather it died in my hands than on some jerks’ who doesn’t give a shit about it.

When my sister was crying, we were actually teasing her for crying over a pig. It’s a pig, for chrissake. We’re used to eating it and the recipes that people make are really appetizing.

So, we were teasing my sister and laughing about it until I cried too and it wasn’t that funny anymore. I can’t believe this movie that I thought was ridiculous actually made me cry. I never imagined myself crying over a pig, my God!

Anyway. It’s a good movie and it makes us realize the value of life and friendship. At the end of the movie, one would realize that it wasn’t just a pig, after all.

As humans, the only rational animal in the world, we are capable of giving value and meaning to the things around us be it living or non-living things. We make them important to us in ways that only we could ever understand. Other people might find us ridiculous or irrational for doing so but we know deep in our hearts why we cherish something or someone and keep its memory alive inside us forever. It doesn’t matter if it’s a ring, a diary, a flower, or a pig. What’s important is that it served/s a special function in our lives which makes it so hard to forget and let go of. We have a natural instinct to protect the ones we love and keep it beside us as long as time allows us to.


Why kill a very special, extraordinary pig if you could keep it forever?

****

Watch the trailer:


No comments: